YO, Everyone!!!! PENNSYLVANIA IS SO DIFFERENT THAN THE HOOD.
BEFORE, I WAS HANGING OUT WITH THE THUGS
NOW, I'M CHILLIN WITH THE AMISH ON THEIR EGG FARMS. I LOVE IT!
No, but really, this area and my last could not be more different. There are just a lot of farms and distances between everything. There's only one lock on our door. WHAT??? IT'S.... SAFE?!?!?!
Yeah. I live in a peaceful little town in South Pennsylvania called Shippensburg. Shippensburg is a cute little college town in the middle of practically no where.
On Tuesday I said a lot of heartfelt goodbyes and surprisingly, wasn't too sad to leave anyone. I'm ready to move on. On the way up to my new area, I was sitting in the backseat while my new companion, Sister Hamblin, and the member who was driving us, chatted about Pennsylvania and I had zero input to give into that conversation because I haven't left Maryland my whole mission, so I just stared out the window as we pulled away from civilization. AND I FELT GREAT. I've never felt more excited to start a new adventure in my life.
Sister Hamblin and I finally get to our apartment, and within seconds we were HORRIFIED. Our apartment. was. a piece. of junk. Sister Hamblin and I have spent probably a little over 24 hours cleaning and repairing and organizing this past week. we have filled up 8 garbage bags of trash from our apartment and 6 more for goodwill things.
OH AND ALSO, since my companion and I are opening a new area, we sat down and looked through the Area Book to see who the sisters before us had been working with there was NOTHING.
But we are excited. Even though we have NOTHING to start from, we have had a blast just trying to build our teaching pool the last few days.
Which brings me to my next point: I LOVE MY COMPANION. Seriously, within only a few hours, we were laughing and talking like we were the greatest of friends. That's never happened to me before. We have a lot in common and we work well together. We've just really seen already how divinely inspired our companionship is. I just love her. She makes the most menial tasks enjoyable just because I get to be around her. I can already tell her and I are going to be good friends for a long long time. She is from Chandler Arizona and she has a big family and an even bigger heart. She loves Jimmy Fallon and movie soundtracks and classic literature. I adore her.
Anyway. I don't have a ton of time but here are a few things
- Mennonites are weird because they wear all these 1800's clothing but then you see them eating cheetos in their flip flops:)
- I got bit by a stray cat and now animal control has to try and find the cat in case I get rabies lol
- this is the most humble ward I have yet been in
- I feel like I'm being trained again hahha
- Sister Hamblin and I are on a journey to get rid of a bunch of crazy rules that are floating around. We have decided that we will not follow any rule that is not in the white handbook or in Preach My Gospel. We have received a lot of interesting feedback, but it's what President and the Lord have asked us to do. "Aint nobody got time for all your made up rules":)
- Sister Sadie Wells was in this area in February. She was the one who passed away in the car accident. the ward is still really struggling. there is newspaper clippings all over our apartment. It is so sad.
- God is good