April 16, 2019


Jardgalthant (Jargalant), Mongolia


Elder Wadsworth

Week 2, Mongolia

Сайн байцгаана уy миний хайрт ах эгч нар аа?

It's been another great week in Mongolia. We've been busy, I've been dog tired every night when I get home. That's a good thing though. We've done a lot but I'll just talk about yesterday since it was probably one of my favorite days on the mission so far.

We woke up and started out the day with literally absolutely nothing scheduled. We went about our day as normal and were studying when we got a phone call at about 10:00am from a lady in our ward. She asked us if we could get water for her. We enthusiastically said yes and headed out the door. We hopped on a bus that took us just over an hour outside the city where our apartment was located. We were in the middle nowhere.

The trees made it look like a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

After a bit of walking around and a phone call asking for directions, we found the lady's house. She was all alone with her 2 year old daughter. The place was very small and falling apart. She boiled the last of her water and gave it to us to drink before we began hauling water for the rest of the day. The water here is filthy so everyone boils is to make it safe to drink. Even though it was boiled it definitely didn't look clean with lots of white stuff and other things floating around. Against my better judgement and in fear of being rude, I downed the cup of water, burning my mouth in the process, and asked her where the water containers were going to fill were.

She took us outside and showed us all the containers. She also had a large blue drum to fill with water that was inside of her house. We were told to get water, fill the drum, then fill the rest of the containers outside. She gave us 200 tugriks, the equivalent of about 75 cents, and pointed us in the direction of the well to get water from. We grabbed a few containers and started walking. About a mile or so down the road we found the little brick building that people called "the well". Turns, out it wasn't actually a well. It was a little water storage shack that had a hose. You pay the worker, they turn on the water, and you take a hose and fill up your containers. I guess I forgot that we were in a desert because they have no water out here. A truck comes around and occasionally fills up the water storage. After we filled up the containers, we began to walk back. The walk seemed a lot longer on the way back to the lady's home for some reason. Once we got there, we dumped the containers in the blue drum and it hardly filled it up halfway. Oh boy, we were gonna be here for a while.

After about 4 trips, on our way to the "well", someone saw us and said in Mongolian, "Hey, it's the Jesuses". They gave us a thumbs up and went back into their house. On our way back to the house, the person came back out with a dolly for us to use. We thanked him profusely since at this point, we were getting pretty exhausted and wondering how we were going to be able to finish the job and help this lady and her daughter. There's no doubt in my mind that God put that man in our way to help us out. It's funny how that works sometimes. If you just have faith and go to work, the Lord will provide a way, always. I have a very firm testimony of that. Anyways, after a few more trips with the dolly, we were able to finish the job and provide the humble family with enough water to last them a while. The lady made us a soup for when we got back and we ate it. It wasn't that bad except for the fact that it have lots, and I mean lots, of bones and tiny bone fragments in it. Other than that, it wasn't all that bad. After we thanked her for the food we went outside to leave and the little 2 year old girl chased us. She was so happy.


It blew my mind how, again, these people have nothing. We just had to walk to a well to get them their water, which wasn't even clean. Yet, they are so incredibly happy. No matter where you go, it's universal.

The other night, we had an appointment in a different part of the area, in the ger districts, where there are lots and lots crazy, vicious, rabid dogs. It's kind of scary being out there sometimes. But, randomly I just saw some little boy, all alone, jumping a fence. I don't know where he was going, what he was doing, or what he was possibly running from but I knew one thing for sure. He was probably poorer than I could imagine, who knows when the last time he ate was, where he sleeps, or if he even has parents (lots of kids don't) waiting for him when he gets home tonight, wherever he calls home. But, you just couldn't shake this kid's smile from his face.


The people here are teaching me so much, and are changing my heart and my life. I am so grateful for the wonderful blessing and opportunity I have to be here in this extremely unique country. I know that I was called to Mongolia for the people here. I wasn't called to a place, but a people. I'm enjoying being here to serve them, to help them, to talk with them, to learn from them, and to love them. I've never learned how to love greater than I have here on my mission. It's a wonderful thing and I thank the Lord for every single day that I am here. Yesterday was a great example of how if you have faith and are trying your best, that the Lord will ensure that things will work out for you. Just be good and go. A lot of times, especially with anything regarding faith, you have to take a step in the dark, sometimes you even have to walk forward in the dark for a while before you see a light. However, I testify that that light will come. The Lord won't let us walk in darkness forever. Sometimes, we have to experience the darkness to learn and grow, or even so that we can appreciate the light even more when we have it. But, I know that the Lord is always with us, even when things seem dark.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

-Ахлагч Жуyнз


« Back

Próximos Eventos

Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mission

Tiempo de Servicio

100 %

Días en el Campo Misional