Hey guys! Hope everyone's week is going well. Sorry I got my letter out a little late this week. We were suppose to email yesterday but we got stuck in Baltimore. For preparation day Elder Dyer and I got to go down to the Under Armour World Headquarters and get a tour - it was awesome! There's a guy in our ward who is in charge of sales for the lacrosse division at Under Armour. We got a sweet tour, got to go outside and play some lacrosse on their mini turf field, and most importantly got a bunch of free stuff haha! It was awesome, I will definitely send some pictures for everyone to see! But long story short, we were having so much fun we totally forgot what time it was and missed our train home and had to wait for a later one so I apologize if there were any of you that were just dying to hear from me.......I know, I know, there is a lot of you;)
I had a really good week again this week. We picked up an awesome investigator last week (Ernest) who we had a great experience with this week. We had taught the restoration the first time we went over and this time we went taught the Plan of Salvation. After we shared the message and answered some of his questions, he told us how good he feels whenever we come over. We invited him to be baptized and he accepted! So we are planning for his baptism to be on the 13th of next month, super excited!
Just to give everyone an update on Diana and Tony, for those of you know don't know who I'm talking about, we have been working with a couple since I got here and they have been coming to church each and every week, reading the Book of Mormon diligently, and stopped drinking alcohol and coffee. They are doing awesome!
For my thought this week: I read a really sweet talk entitle "According To The Desires of Our Hearts." - Neil A. Maxwell. There were six awesome quotes in there that I wanted to share with you, and along with them are six things that he talks about that really hit home with me.
1) Battle - "The men and women, who desire to obtain seats in the celestial kingdom, will find that they must battle every day."
2) Understanding - "Do you think that people will obey the truth because it is true, if they don't love it? They will not. We must obtain understanding."
3) Honesty - "Once again we must be honest with ourselves about the consequences of our desires, which follow as the night, the day. Similarly faced with life's so called "bad breaks" the natural man desires to wallow in self pity, therefore this desire must go too."
4) Momentum - "Like Newton's second law, there is a transmitting of acceleration as well as contagiousness associated with even small amounts of goodness." As we continue our goodness the more momentum we will have to battle the adversary.
5) Carnal desire will be incidental - "Holy desires produce corresponding outward works. Only by educating and training our desires can they become our allies rather than our enemies. Some of our present desires, therefore need to be diminished and then finally dissolved." Through this our weak desire can become strong. (Ether 12:27)
6) Humility in all things - "More holiness give me, more patience in suffering, more sorrow for sin, more faith in my savior, more tears for his sorrows, more pain in his grief, more meekness in trial, more praise for relief."
Sometimes, our bad desires overtake our good desires. We all have them, but as we battle each and everyday, understand why we are battling, be honest with the lord, build momentum with goodness, and be humble in all things, our carnal desires with be but incidental in our lives. It will not be easy, but then again it was always intended to help us grow. I know my Savior loves me and lives. As we battle each day to grow closer to him, we will. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.