December 17, 2018


Shimogamo, Kyoto


Sato choro

Week 68: Kyoto

This week we had transfers. I got transfered to Shimogamo area in Kyoto . My new companion is Elder Sato. He's transfer 16 right now and has been in this area for 4 transfers. He's my 4th Japanese companion, which is pretty crazy. Hopefully my Japanese will actually improve this transfer!
Time for some highlights:

-Elder Holman from my days in the MTC is my District Leader. I'm way excited to go on companion exchanges with him this transfer. He's such a great missionary!

-My wonderful MTC companion Elder Eddington replaced me in Uwajima. I had a feeling that Elder Eddington was going to be coming to Uwajima, so I told Elder Foster who his new companion was going to be a few weeks before transfers. I also told the members that the next Elder to come was going to be very good at the piano 😂 Elder Eddington is the best!

- I transfered pretty much as far away from Uwajima as is possible in this mission. My transfer was broken up between two days and included 12+ hours of travel (this does include waiting in the train stations for other missionaries so that we could travel together). I will put a picture of the general route I ended up taking. Red is day one, purple is day two.

- while I was staying in Okayama, I ended up riding my bike to the train station at 5:30 in the morning to make the early train headed towards Kyoto. I was carrying probably 50 pounds worth of stuff that I was transferring with on my back. Right before I got to the station my bike seat snapped in half. Literally, the steel pole that connects my seat to the bike frame looks like it was cut in half by a katana. The weight of the stuff I was carrying on my back caused me to fall back and collapse onto my rear wheel. It ended up bending the gear shift/transmission thingy into the spokes of my wheel so that my bike became practically unusable. Ended up missing the early train by just a few moments. That was a blast 😂

-when I entered into the station in the early morning headed to Kyoto, the machine that takes your tickets didn't give mine back to me. Because there was no staff at the station that early in the morning, I just had to proceed without a ticket that would allow me to get out of the station when I reached Kyoto. Also, because I was in such a hurry, I had bought a cheaper ticket and just figured I would adjust the fare when I arrived, but now I no longer had the ticket. I was a bit worried. When I finally arrived in Kyoto, I explained the situation to one of the attendants, and he did some calculations, had me pay what he thought the remaining amount was, and then let me go through the gate. After I walked through and set all my stuff down, I recalculated how much money I had spent (it was a lot of money) and realized that I had paid the attendant 740 yen less than what my travel actually cost. I had already gone through the gate, I had already spent over 13,000 yen on travel to get here, and I knew that I would have to spend quite a bit more money in order to fix my bike. I would be lying to you if I said that I was not tempted to just let it be, say that I got lucky, and walk out of the station with an extra 740 yen in my pocket. But, I knew what the Lord wanted me to do, so I walked back to the attendant, explained to him that there was an error in the calculations and that I wanted to pay the full amount. The reason I share this story is to let you all know that Honesty is truly its own reward.

This week has been very busy. There's plenty of other things I could write about, for example we had a great meal with a bunch of YSA members, and I had to sing Brightly Beams Our Fathers Mercy accapella in Japanese in front of all of them,.......but I'm out of time. So until next week!

God bless.
All the best.
Ttyl, in a bit!

With best regards,


« Back

Coming Events

Japan Kobe Mission

Length of Service

91 %

Days in Mission Field