August 8, 2016


Ft. Smith, Arkansas


Elder Gehring

What's new

hey mom, yeah im feeling a little bit better, i was sick all week which is hard to work when your sick but i did it anyways and it was terrible. i still am a little sick but no too bad.

the pattersons heard elder gehring and i were looking for a record player and they had one they never used cause they dont have records so they gave us a record player last monday!! we had some extra time on our way to do service on saturday and stopped at this store and bought 2 records for about $5 total and its sweet. dont worry they are hymn vinyls! but its a blast. the songs kinda arent so good but we dont even care cause were listening to a record player!

also, the pattersons have been out of town for a while. we have an appointment with them tomorrow night. should be giving them a baptismal date! we also have an investigator named melody who just got a baptismal date and came to church yesterday and loved it! so were pretty excited for her! shes pretty humble and willing to listen so were excited for her! the work is going really well here, the ward is waking up and i had a thought the other day of this area if the ward keeps up what their doing and this would be one of the areas everyone would want to go, rather than the banished zone. so if they keep up what their doing this will be one of the best areas in the mission. already is as far as numbers go. its a really good area now.

so, i need to let another elder on, but if i remember ill send out a group email later on today! love you!

On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 10:53 PM, <> wrote:
Hello Elder Olsen!!

How are you? Are you feeling any better? I am sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. How are the Pattersons? Are they still progressing? I hope so and I will keep them in my prayers. How is the work?

We have been watching the Summer Olympics this weekend and it's kind of fun to watch. I just watched the US get a gold and bronze medal in women's swimming.

Well I had my surgery on Wednesday. I now have eight screws, two pins and a plate in my foot. It turns out that my bunions are in the top 10% worst bunions. I also had two toes that had moved out of joint and the other two toes had tendons that were too long. I was in surgery for over 3 hours. I am now in a boot and have to be non weight bearing for 7-8 weeks. I have crutches, a wheel chair and a knee chair. I love the knee chair!! Crutches are soooo hard!! I am having trouble getting in and out of the house because I can't do stairs on my crutches. I have to go back to the doctor tomorrow so I have been practicing getting in and out of the house. I have to sit down and scoot on my bottom to do it. I haven't been able to shower yet but I am hoping to after I go to the doctor tomorrow. They are going to change my dressing tomorrow which hasn't been done yet. I haven't had too much pain yet which I am really grateful for. They gave me a local and deadened my foot and it lasted for about a day and a half. I then had some other really nice pain killers that have helped quite a lot. I have had a few times that I had some pain but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I will send you a picture of my x-ray which shows all of the screws, pins and plates. I have to say I have been really scared about having this surgery and I am so glad that I am on this end of it. Dad took the end of the week of to be with me and help me. I am so thankful for him and how much he has helped me. I couldn't have done it without him. I have been so sleepy. I think some of it is from the medication but I think some of it is just my body needing to heal itself also. People in the ward have been bringing us meals. They will bring something in again tomorrow night. It is very nice of them to do that. I wasn't going to have anyone bring us anything but Gayna knew I was having surgery and called the compassionate service leader and volunteered to bring dinner to us so then she talked me into letting them bring dinner to us. I relented and it has been very nice. I got a gift certificate to have the house cleaned with Daisy Maids and I am quite excited about that. I will have to call and get them to come some time this week. Dad has so much to do now as it is without having to clean the house also. I think once I start feeling better I will be able to do some more stuff. I was able to do a few things for dinner tonight by sitting on one of the stools.

When is your next transfer? Is it just about time for that again? It seems like it was just transfer time but it I think it close to the beginning of July wasn't it?

Not too much has happened here because I have been home bound all week. Dad and I have been watching lots of movies and that is about all we have done.

Take care of yourself and I hope you are feeling better. Pray always, study your scriptures, be obedient, work hard and finish strong!! I was really happy to hear you talk about finishing strong.

I will love you forever


« Back

Coming Events

Arkansas Bentonville Mission

Length of Service

100 %

Days in Mission Field